Saturday, December 8, 2007

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Food

So we need some input here-- what qualifies as "groceries" and when does it become extravagance? Buying unnecessary food isn't all that different than say, buying another shirt. It's both excess consumption. So there's a couple issues here--

(1) Should there be a "100 mile" or "250 mile" rule? This is what others have done, but living in Maine we'd get scurvy. I don't think it's a healthful combination with the whole veggie thing. I wonder what those Canucks grow...

(2) USA made/grown only rule: being Asian, this would suck. But it's definitely more doable, and it still lessens the transportation impact of our diet.

(3) Unnecessary purchases: what's excessive? I'm thinking a "grocery list only" rule. Yes we can put snacks and junk food on it, but at least you've written it down while you're rationally sitting at home-- as opposed to the current "wandering through the aisles while hungry" method I use.

(4) Organics/non-GMO: I'm not a big fan of a strict requirement here. My personal experience is that organic produce has to be eaten within a few days before they turn furry and brown. Also there's the cost issue of organic everything, and I'm not convinced it's more environmentally sound due to the decreased land efficiency AND higher spoilage rate.

(5) Eating out: should there be a limit or outright ban? I think this will be addressed in a later food and entertainment section.


FOLLOW UP: Molly pointed me to this article from the NYT on the carbon footprint of groceries. It'll make your head spin, but it raises some important factors in the equation that need to be considered.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Hi, I love this! I highly recommend evert fresh green plasticy produce bags to extend the life of your produce. I don't like using a lot of extra plastic but they are reuseable and do really extend the life of our veggies, fresh herbs etc. and therefore we do less marketing and less tossing out of mouldering vegetables, liquid lettuce...

Jen

Greener Building . blogspot said...

Michelle and Elliot,

You are brave and I compend you for this. Like a strict diet, it can be hell. Have you considered approaching it like an Elephant Buffet? Each one bite at a time. Go for a month, revaluate, discuss, explore, adjust, and go another month. I think this way you will develop a sustainable lifestyle that you won't want to end in 12 months.

Another idea is to allow yourselves to trade or sell unnecessary items for things you need as the needs arise.

Power to you guys!