Saturday, December 29, 2007

Terms and Conditions: Food and Entertainment

So, Elliott doesn't see the point of limiting eating out and going out. I can't quite put my finger on why eating out seems to go against the spirit of the project--it just feels like an unnecessary indulgence, and isn't that what we are trying to cut out?
So I'm proposing a limit but not outright ban on eating out. Limits are:

(1) We are allowed one breakfast or lunch and one dinner out per week.
(2) Restaurants must be local to where we are-- no national chains.

As far as entertainment goes, 99% of the time this involves going to the movies. So new rule that I'm proposing: rentals only, no going to the movies. Although I'm willing to make an exception for this tiny one-screen indie theater near us...

6 comments:

elliott said...

What I am looking to cut out is 'habit' of buying material possessions that we don't really need. I have three reasons for this: first I am not a fan of a lot of the labor conditions throughout the world, second is to reduce my environmental impact, and third is to save money.

As to eating out, while it is more expensive, it puts more money directly into the local economy. Maine's economy relies on service sector jobs; and I am unaware of any serious negative environmental impacts of eating out (but can think of some benefits).

I can certainly agree with the second limit as to national chains, but I may be more 'flexible' with the first.

;)

Michelle said...

I see this project as more of an experiment in buying what you "need" and not what you "want" kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle & Elliot!!!

One way to cut spending on rental videos is to borrow videos from the public library! Public libraries carry a good amount of independent and international films; they also carry music cds. It's like NetFlix but free! I only go to rental video stores when the movie isn't at the library and when I absolutely need to see it. Also some of my ol coworkers go to locally owned video stores instead of chain rental stores. ~Susan

Michelle said...

I haven't checked out the music selection at the library yet but I do remember checking out cd's in high school (when I may or may not have illegally recorded them onto tapes). The library here is great for older movies and documentaries but the movie selection is nothing like Germantown's!

Unknown said...

Hi
I love the intention of this project. As a movie addict, I must ask, why no movies in the theatre. I see it as comparable to public transportation, lots of people viewing the same film as opposed to the millions of copies produced for rentals. Of course, I would have a hard time giving up my precious netflix, too. Just curious about the reasoning.
All the best,
Marcia

Michelle said...

I agree there's not much environmental harm from going to movies. From a consumerism perspective I'd like to refrain from supporting mainstream Hollywood (overpaid actors/actresses/execs), but I think we should make an exception for seeing indie movies at a theater.