Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I like food

I've been doing some research into how other people have done the whole veggie+locavore thing, and it turns out, they don't. I googled vegetarian locavore, veggie locavore, veggie localvore, etc. and got jack squat, other than one locavore blogger saying, "Being a Vegetarian-Locavore is really freaking hard. I really feel for Mike" and another saying "There is nothing easy about being a vegetarian locavore." Plus, most everyone doing the locavore thing and having a website about it seem to live in either California or the mid-Atlantic states. The farthest north I've found (or Elliott found, actually) are the "Upper Valley Localvores" in New Hampshire/Vermont who seem to be eating nothing but carbs and meat right now.

I have to say I'm a little surprised at how little overlap there is between the veggie people and the locavore people-- you'd think they're all cut from the same animal-loving hackysack-playing quinoa-eating cloth, right? Or is that just me?

We're quickly running out of non-USA non-organic food from before the contract set in and I'm really not looking forward to when I run out of rice noodles (I usually keep 3 kinds), or Japanese soup noodles, or curry powder, or any Asian sauce for that matter.

No comments: