Saturday, February 23, 2008

What's in Season?

I grew up in the South having no idea that fruits and veggies had seasons. Plus I was living in Houston when I started buying my own groceries in college. Everything was always in season. And dirt cheap. Now that I'm here in Maine, I have a much better appreciation of produce seasonality. That's probably because local tomatoes are $4.99/lb at the Whole Foods and fuji apples are $2.99/lb. I put one in the scale and it weighed almost a pound, which would make it a $3 apple. Which is insane. There was a piece in one of the local papers here titled "Whole Foods, Whole Markup" about how Whole Foods marks up local goods so that they can't compete with 365 brand. (PDF available here, skip to page 5 ).

Anyway, I found this really great site with what's in season by state. It doesn't have every state but I imagine you can approximate geographically. Also here's the Food Network's guide to what's in season complete with pictures. If you click on a produce item it'll lead you to more info on how to cook it, complete with recipe ideas. Woo hoo!

No comments: