Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How Far Did Your Food Travel-- Winter Edition

This is my second winter in Maine... snow has lost all novelty, I've completely wiped out coming out of my office TWICE (this winter), and I hear there's a brutal cold front coming in. Winter, which I used to think consisted of December and January, is losing its appeal. Or, has lost its appeal. Its' only saving grace is that winter is citrus season, and I love blood oranges. Cara cara oranges are a distant second, and anything in the tangerine/tangelo family is up there too.

Anyways, MSNBC has this slideshow of which foods travel the farthest in winter. Basically it's a list of non-winter produce grown in South America and Asia so that the rest of the world does not have to deal with seasonality in their diets. The slideshow only deals with traveling distance and not growing conditions, and as someone who bought strawberries earlier this week, I have to wonder about the energy used to grow stuff within the US but in greenhouses. Like the Backyard Beauty tomatoes that are ubiquitous in New England year-round and are indoor-grown in Maine. What's the carbon footprint of THAT?

No comments: